Thursday, April 27, 2006

Catalog Moment

Are you inundated with catalogs? Is your mailbox stuffed - especially at holiday time? Mine is too? But I have found a web site that is doing something about it that may be working. At least it is working with Victoria's Secret.

Victoria's Secret sends out a million catalogs every single day. This organization started protesting in front of their stores across the country. They placed a full page ad in the New York Times. They were then invited into the company boardroom. Now, Victoria's Secret has taken a proper step by putting their discount catalog on post consumer recycled paper. That is a start, but why not print them all that way?

According to the Sierra Club, if the catalog industry switched to paper with 10 % post consumer recycled content, it would save 851,000 tons of wood annually. Canada's boreal forest, the largest wildlands in North America is being logged at such a rate that it is now endangered. That logging is being used for catalog production. Fifty-nine billion catalogs are produced every year in the US, and 95% are thrown immediately away.

For more information and to help go to www.forestethics.org.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi there Ma Carr, I’m out surfing for the latest information on mybpbiz.com and found your great site. Although Catalog Moment wasn’t exactly what I was looking for it certainly peaked my interest. Now I see why I found your page when I was looking for mybpbiz.com related information and I’m happy I found your wine blog even though this isn’t a perfect match. Great Post, thanks for the read,

1:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi there Ma Carr, I’m out surfing for the latest information on fuel saver and found your great site. Although Catalog Moment wasn’t exactly what I was looking for it certainly peaked my interest. Now I see why I found your page when I was looking for fuel saver related information and I’m happy I found your wine blog even though this isn’t a perfect match. Great Post, thanks for the read,

11:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home